After my grandfather and I watched news segment about Obama, I spent fifteen minutes how to figure out to say to my him, "I voted for Obama!" As soon as I figured it out, I victoriously blurted it out: "Gong-Gong! Zai Meiguo, wo tou piao O-ba-ma!"
All he said was, "Bu cuo." Not bad.
--------------------
I just figured out how to use my Chinese dictionary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, I already knew how to use it. Half of it. It was easy to figure out what Chinese character meant if I heard it spoken. I'm familiar with both the Roman pinyin and the Mandarin pinyin--which are both collections of phonetic symbols that "spell out" the character. If I could hear a word spoken, I could figure out a) how to spell it, both with the ABCs and "Bo Po Mo," the Mandarin ABCs, and b) its tone. Then, in my dictionary, I could find the pinyin spelling, the tone, and the number alongside which the character is listed. (Actually...no easy task. A lot of characters share the same pinyin spelling AND tone! That's like having the word "water" mean 10-30 different things.) Finally, I would flip to the number beside which the character is listed AND FIND THE ENGLISH TRANSLATION! HUZZAH!
But up until now, that was all I knew how to do. If I just saw a written character, I didn't know how to look it up. I had to hear it spoken. And I had no idea how to search for English words and then find the Chinese translation. The English words only gave characters for definitions, no pinyin breakdowns.
BUT I FINALLY FIGURED IT ALL OUT. HUZZAH HUZZAH HUZZAH!
This is how it works. Chinese characters are comprised of OTHER Chinese characters. For example, the complicated-looking character that eventually forms the phrase "to cast a vote" has the simpler character for "hand" in it. These simpler characters are called "radicals." My dictionary AND BEST FRIEND has a list of ALL the radicals used, which each character listed under it (with a number beside it).
So I looked up the word "vote" in the English-Chinese portion of my dictionary. I found a series of unrecognizable characters. But I broke down the first character, which I found contained the character for "hand." Flipping to the Chinese-English section, I found the list of characters that contain the radical "hand," and there was the character for "vote," with that precious number! I flipped to the number that I was given, and there it all was: the character in larger print, the pinyin pronunciation, and a full out English translation.
Yeah, baby.
I bet this was a really boring post.
Saturday, June 13, 2009
My best friend in Taiwan
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
As all of you know, China (and more specifically, Taiwan) is a big part of my heritage. My mother was born in China but raised in Taipei, Taiwan. (FYI, my father was born in Philadelphia but raised in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. So kind of the same.) All of my mother's immediate family still resides in Taipei: my grandparents, my aunt, my uncle, their children and their children's children. I'm going to Taipei this summer for seven full weeks (from May 28-July 15) to live with them, become familiar with their Taiwan lifestyle and finally learn to speak some Mandarin.
No comments:
Post a Comment