Yesterday I went to Taipei's Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall, an collection of three gigantic, impressive structures that are the Memorial Hall, National Theater* and the National Recital Hall.
*I've heard about the Taipei Dance Circle and on their website it says on July 3, they'll be performing at the National Theater. So during my visit today, I stopped by the National Theater box office where I was greeted by two solemn-looking ladies who, to my despair, did not speak English. So I had to speak completely in Chinese, and my question was way too complicated for my vocabulary. They had never heard of the Taipei Dance Circle, the Taipei Dance Circle was in no way affiliated with the National Theater, and the National Theater July calendar had no mention of the Taipei Dance Circle appearing there. I struggled to communicate my question in Chinese. "I visited, uh, website," I said. "I saw they will be here on July 3." I wrote "Taipei Dance Circle" in English on a sheet of paper and gave it to one of the box office ladies, who raised a pale hand to unbutton the top button of her blouse. I watched as she entered the text into MSN Search and eventually arrive at the same website I had. A glorious picture of women dressed in nothing but long blue sheets arching their backs atop gargantuan seaside rocks appeared. She clicked on the same link that I had, "Tour Schedule." Finally, I saw a minute detail on the page that loaded that I hadn't seen before: Tour Schedule 2005. "Ah! This is for 2005!" I cried in Chinese. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" The ladies turned to each other and, to my surprise...laughed! "Hao ke-ai!" one giggled. "How cute!" Eventually one of them found and dialed the number of the Taipei Dance Circle, told them they had a "waiguo peng-yo," or "foreign friend," who was interested in them. Then the phone was handed over to me and I blubbered in Chinese, "Are you in Taipei in July? Are you here?" The woman on the other end told me, no, they were in another city until September. But she gleefully asked for my email address so that she might send me some information. I gave it to her; she seemed absolutely delighted that an American had even heard about the company, let alone attempted to see a performance. But alas: I won't see them. End. Pity. (How have they not updated their website since 2005?)
I ascended the steps to the Memorial Hall and gazed down at the huge terrace below, both the National Theater and the Recital Hall in my view. I felt fortunate to be able to stand in the middle of a gigantic Taiwanese culture triad that seemed to embraced me, claiming me as part of it. The terrace was enormous, and only a few people were in sight. How special, I thought. How happy I am to see what I am see. How powerful I am to stand so tall atop such a magnificent structure. How lucky I am to feel so free at this moment, my endeavors and my time my own.
Below, photographs from Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall. I visited the tiny museum inside, which featured both historical and contemporary paintings.

The National Theater.

Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall.

Me.

More me.

It was uncharacteristically windy for like five minutes.

View from the top of the stairs. Pretty expansive.

Inside. His face looks really nice.

I absolutely thought this guy was a mannequin until he blinked.

Painting of Chiang Kai-Shek and Dr. Sun Yat-Sen.

Look carefully: "Bulletproof."

Chiang Kai-Shek's car. Cool.

Museum area of the hall.

For some reason, I love this painting. Look at how big their heads are compared to their bodies.

I think this was the changing of the guard! The two soldiers that I thought were mannequins were switched for two other soldiers. Then the two original soldiers marched out with some kind of leader...INTO THE ELEVATOR.

They marched right past me, clicking their boots. (I was right by the elevator.)

Overlooking the terrace.

One for my parents.
As all of you know, China (and more specifically, Taiwan) is a big part of my heritage. My mother was born in China but raised in Taipei, Taiwan. (FYI, my father was born in Philadelphia but raised in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. So kind of the same.) All of my mother's immediate family still resides in Taipei: my grandparents, my aunt, my uncle, their children and their children's children. I'm going to Taipei this summer for seven full weeks (from May 28-July 15) to live with them, become familiar with their Taiwan lifestyle and finally learn to speak some Mandarin.
No comments:
Post a Comment